Saturday 14 April 2018

The strength of support

I grew up in New Your city and was the youngest of three. I had a wonderful life growing up. My parents were loving and caring and tended to my every need. They taught me how to be brave and take any challenge head-on. In 2018 after graduating high school at the age of nineteen, I developed ulcerative colitis, an inflammatory bowel disease. I had no interest in college, so the IBD did not seem to be that big of an issue. Little did I know that later my IBD turned to Crohns disease, and that changed my life forever.


The inflammatory bowel disease developed rather quickly. After a short six months of my original diagnosis, I had to get my colon removed. The doctors created a Jpouch. A Jpouch is a surgically created pouch made from the small intestine. This was created as an alternative way to store and pass stools. I had to live with my Jpouch for close to four years before things seem to spiral out of control. Despite the signs, I continued to live my life the way I wanted. I played paintball on the weekends with my friends. I would go on trips to other counties and learn about their cultures. I thought all was fine until the day I pooped my pants. 



I went to see my doctor once that had happened. We did a CT scan to find out that the jpouch created a few years ago was failing, and I had to make a choice. I could either live with it, or I could get a colostomy. My doctor told me that if I did not get the surgery, there is a chance I could die within a few years. I chose to get the colostomy with very low morale, a big blow to my self-esteem and confidence. 

After my surgery, everything was ‘back to normal.’ However, I was in a dark place following the procedure. I did not like the ostomy bag one bit. My family was there for me, though. Through thick and thin, they kept pushing me to be the best that I could be. It was hard to walk around day to day, knowing that at any moment, my bag would get some contents. It was not an easy adjustment, but it was made easier when I found a support group of ostomy patients like me. Soon I started to realize my confidence was growing back. I started going out more and even began dating again. I have found the love of my life. We travel the world. It helps to have a remote working job as I can go anywhere and not worry about making it to the office Monday. 



It helps knowing I’m not alone in my journey. My friends and family still only see me for who I am and not what’s wrong with me. I have made many friends in my support group, and I am trying to play my part. I want to make our lives as ostomy patients better, and that is what I plan on doing from now on. Whenever I travel now, I am looking for new ways to improve our situation better and more bearable. With the support of my friends, family, and support group, I was able to get out of my dark place and live a life of helping others in my situation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment